Trusted Wisconsin-based Wrongful Death Attorney Help Clients Seek Legal Relief
Firm with main office in Oshkosh aids bereaved plaintiffs after instances of fatal negligence
Losing a loved one unexpectedly in a car crash or another type of accident changes your life forever, and in so many different ways. If someone else’s negligence or intentional act is responsible for your family member’s fatality, seeking justice in a wrongful death claim might seem like an overwhelming task. However, with the right guidance, you can pursue appropriate compensation from the person or business liable for your tragic loss. For more than 50 years, Apex Accident Attorneys, LLC in Oshkosh has provided comprehensive legal support to bereaved Wisconsin clients throughout the state. Admitted to practice in both Wisconsin and Florida, Attorney George W. Curtis, Jr. will stand up for your right to relief and work diligently to secure a result that gives you the opportunity to move forward.
Types of wrongful death claims
No amount of compensation can provide true justice when you’ve lost a family member, but an experienced lawyer can help you address the financial aspect of your loss and hold the liable party accountable. My firm handles wrongful death claims arising from:
- Vehicle accidents — After a fatal car, truck or motorcycle crash, I represent clients during negotiations with insurers and litigation against the at-fault parties.
- Defective products — If a family member died because a product did not work as it should have or was labeled incorrectly, you can count on my firm to take on the manufacturer of the defective product and any other business that failed to take the proper precautions.
- Inadequate security — Places and events that attract large groups of people could pose a deadly threat if sufficient security is not provided. I assist families who have lost loved ones due to crime and crowd control problems.
- Workplace accidents — Fatalities at construction sites, heavy machinery issues in factories and other workplace accidents happen every day in this country. My firm reviews the facts in these matters to determine what went wrong.
After someone close to you dies in an untimely manner, it can be difficult to consider legal matters amidst your grief. Whatever led to your family member’s death, I will address the legal details and keep you informed of case developments until the matter is resolved.
Damages available in a wrongful death claim
An experienced injury attorney can help you address the financial aspect of your loss and make a strong argument for the following types of damages:
- Reimbursement for funeral expenses and burial costs
- Reimbursement for medical expenses stemming from the fatal incident
- Payment for income and benefits that the victim would have been expected to earn throughout their lifetime
- Loss of society and companionship compensable by up to $350,000 for an adult decedent and $500,000 for a child
It might also be possible to file a survivorship claim to pursue damages, which involves seeking compensation for the pain and suffering that the victim might have recovered personally had they remained alive.
Who is eligible to file a claim?
Along with the personal representative for the victim’s estate, certain close family members can file a wrongful death action. In most types of wrongful death cases, the claim must be filed within three years of the fatal incident. However, vehicle accident claims have a two-year statute of limitations. If you are a spouse, child, parent or guardian of the decedent, I will explain how to initiate a legal proceeding. From there, my firm guides you every step of the way in pursuit of an appropriate resolution.
Contact a Wisconsin attorney for a free consultation about a wrongful death claim
Apex Accident Attorneys, LLC advises clients on Wisconsin wrongful death claims, including cases stemming from auto accidents and fatal falls. Please call 920-233-1010 or contact me online to make an appointment for a free initial consultation. My office is in Oshkosh.